    SubjectRe: PROBLEM: Linux 2.6.0-test11 only lets me use 1GB out of 2GB ram.
    On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 07:00:11AM -0800, William Lee Irwin III wrote:
    > You should probably ignore this thread. It's probably not relevant to
    > you.

    Ok, thanks. My mistake.

    > > [In my fantasies, I was thinking that the system came up with only 1GB of
    > > the memory easily usable, and that the lack of support for my hardware
    > > meant that it couldn't be properly reconfigured. But I recognize that
    > > I haven't spent the time researching this to see if in fact this is
    > > the case.]
    > Highmem support gets you this on ia32. Other architectures can support it
    > with less overhead.

    Are there docs on this?

    > > I am in the process of bringing up an cross compilation environment for
    > > amd64 -- I need to do that anyways -- and I'll try building a real 64
    > > bit kernel to see if that helps any. If that doesn't, I guess I'll try
    > > a couple 4G highmem kernels (one 64 bit, one 32 bit). If nothing else,
    > > that will eat up some time...
    > If you have such a cpu why are you bothering with highmem (or wondering
    > if > 2GB is supported)?

    I'm not wondering if > 2GB is supported. I'm trying to get 2GB
    to work (and I'm having a problem -- perhaps because I believe
    Documentation/memory.txt doesn't cover the issues I'm facing).

    I've not yet bothered with highmem, but I will if building a 64 bit
    kernel doesn't get me access to 2GB.

    Does that answer your question?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.024 / U:63.364 seconds]