    SubjectRe: Linux GPL and binary module exception clause?
    On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 02:18:00PM -0800, Larry McVoy wrote:
    > interfaces, the EXPORT_GPL stuff, all of that as a way to delibrately

    forget EXPORT_GPL, that's an hint, all _GPL can be removed, and any
    EXPORT_SYMBOL can be added. what is a derived work or not, what is legal
    or not, has nothing to do with whatever EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL or even with
    EXPORT_SYMBOL.

    Clearly if we export everything with EXPORT_SYMBOL we make life easier
    to illegal people, that's why using EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL can make sense,
    but any distributor is free to drop all _GPL tags everywhere, and export
    every single kernel function with EXPORT_SYMBOL. If somebody than makes
    a derived work through those exported symbols illegally, that's his own
    problem. The distributor has no control on the export symbol users.

    just look vmmon, that's a derived work with a non GPL compatible
    licence, it does everything through exported symbols but it doesn't mean
    it's not a derivative work.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.019 / U:0.788 seconds]