SubjectRe: OT: why no file copy() libc/syscall ??
Date
On Thursday 27 November 2003 04:58, David Lang wrote:
[snip]
> actually thinking about it a bit more, did I make a stupid mistake and
> think that the FD points at the beginning of the file when it really
> points at the inode? if it points at the inode then the problems I was
> refering to don't exist.

Actually, it points to inode and offset in the file. The advantage this has
is in the case of appending to a file... open the destination file, seek to
the end, then copy. It also allows seeking some offset in the input file,
then copying the rest of the file.