    SubjectRe: Accessing device information in REMOVE agent
    On Sat, Nov 08, 2003 at 04:02:25PM +0300, Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
    > I'd like to be notified when block device goes away (e.g. USB stick unplugged)
    > basically to look if device is in use and possibly initiate clean up. Block
    > hotplug currently is passing only DEVPATH; but it alone is not reliable way
    > to identify it; device may be used under alias names via symbolic links.

    What do you mean? DEVPATH is unique for that point in time. There are
    no alias's in sysfs.

    > Is it safe to access /sys/$DEVPATH in REMOVE agent? Apparently hotplug is
    > called asynchronously i.e. it is possible that /sys entry is already removed?

    The /sys entry is probably already removed, but if not, it will
    disappear any second. So no, it's not safe to try to access it, as it
    will not work.

    > Would it make sense to add device number? It seems to be natural native "block
    > device ID" :)

    What "device number"? The major/minor? Why? It's about as unique as
    DEVPATH is for any point in time.

    thanks,

    greg k-h

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.067 / U:32.824 seconds]