    SubjectRe: Things that Longhorn seems to be doing right
    Date
    On Tuesday 04 November 2003 09:13, Hans Reiser wrote:
    > Timothy Miller wrote:
    > > Nikita Danilov wrote:
    > >> It is called "a directory". :) There is no crime in putting
    > >>
    > >> cc src/*.c
    > >>
    > >> into Makefile. I think that Hans' query-result-object denoting multiple
    > >> objects is more like directory than single regular file.
    > >
    > > So a file system query that results in multiple files generates a
    > > "virtual directory"?
    >
    > Remember that this code does not exist yet.....;-)
    >
    > Sounds like it might be a good way to do it though.

    Yes and this also solves the "refine feedback" problem: Just return
    sth. useful in the stat->nlink for that directory
    or even create a new stat-like syscall.

    Now the issuer can decide on ANY level, whether to refine the search or
    accept the result to present it in a listing.

    A proper replacement for nlink is looong overdue.

    But even with the crappy one, we have now, it can be decided since a
    list of 65K is too much for a proper selection and cannot be handled by
    a user. Somebody even said that every search pattern revealing more
    than 50 records is not refined enough.

    PS: Hans, we just saved you the funding on this topic.

    Regards

    Ingo Oeser

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.020 / U:241.392 seconds]