Subject[RFC] Further SMP / NUMA scheduler improvements
http://www.kerneltrap.org/~npiggin/w25/

Been sorting some bugs out. Its pretty stable. Although CONFIG_SMT
is still apparently broken. It will probably stay that way due to not
having an SMP P4 to test with and being a bit busy with other things.

I have done some tweaking of the "domains", and found some pretty
impressive performance improvements. The 16-way NUMAQ at OSDL is
running out of steam now (ie. I've got quite a bit of low hanging
fruit), and I've only got a couple more days with it anyway. So I'd
like other architectures especially to try it if interested.

I could assist in building architecture specific scheduling descriptions
if anyone would like to try it on a non traditional SMP / NUMA, however
I think something might be broken with SMT handling. Probably active
migration. I can't be bothered fixing it unless I can find an SMP P4 HT
to test with :P

(dbench is most significantly improved)

System is dev16-000 at OSDL. total/idle ticks are profiler ticks.
16GB ram, 4x4 nodes NUMAQ
model name : Pentium III (Katmai)
cpu MHz : 495.274
cache size : 512 KB

dbench 8 16 32 64 128
bk19 470.84 433.47 360.04 351.96 359.86
w22 477.35 439.82 387.77 378.65 367.07
w25 473.10 587.74 503.35 532.83 524.61
total/idle ticks
bk19 3598603/124601
w22 3425876/227225
w25 2408853/232176

tbench 8 16 24 32
bk19 46.17 58.74 60.78 59.79
w22 47.39 58.72 57.73 57.86
w25 53.59 58.60 65.80 63.35
total/idle ticks
bk19 7603448/1115754
w22 7808203/1897589
w25 7150680/2038258

kernbench (make -j, 5 runs) real user sys
bk19 82.231 997.021 152.044
w22 81.384 973.653 140.246
w25 80.650 970.900 131.833
total/idle ticks
bk19 2218739/1442831
w22 2110820/1398357
w25 2062930/1393573

hackbench (3 runs) 1 100
bk19 0.591 37.578
w22 0.386 31.954
w25 0.365 33.289
total/idle ticks
bk19 1948913/319060
w22 1655610/360777
w25 1721178/496178

reaim 256 parent time child stime child utime jpm
bk19 247.33 373.57 3568.12 6396.64
w22 250.37 332.70 3614.94 6318.97
w25 258.67 311.85 3684.09 6116.21

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.494 / U:0.412 seconds]