    SubjectIEEE1284 (Parallel Port) Kernel Build Problem
    ** Please CC me on any replies, as I am not subscribed to the mailing list **

    It appears that the build process for the parport.o and parport_pc.o kernel
    modules is not properly picking up the value of 'CONFIG_PARPORT_1284'. Even
    though my .config file contains 'CONFIG_PARPORT_1284=y', a build of the kernel
    does not successfully include IEEE1284 support, as evidenced by this message
    in the system log file:

    kernel: parport: IEEE1284 not supported in this kernel

    I was able to generate a simple workaround, which I verified works, by adding
    a "#define" to the relevant source code in drivers/parport/. I would have
    preferred to have found the actual build problem, but I must admit to not being
    able to completely decipher the build process...sorry.

    I am not sure if this is relevant, but you will notice that my entire parallel
    port support is via modules. The rest of the relevant entrys from .config:

    # Parallel port support
    # CONFIG_PARPORT_SERIAL is not set
    # CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_FIFO is not set
    # CONFIG_PARPORT_AMIGA is not set
    # CONFIG_PARPORT_MFC3 is not set
    # CONFIG_PARPORT_ATARI is not set
    # CONFIG_PARPORT_GSC is not set
    # CONFIG_PARPORT_SUNBPP is not set
    # CONFIG_PARPORT_OTHER is not set

    IF it helps:
    Linux llinuxi 2.4.22 #2 Wed Nov 26 13:39:27 EST 2003 i686 unknown

    Gnu C 3.2
    Gnu make 3.79.1
    util-linux 2.11u
    mount 2.11u
    modutils 2.4.19
    e2fsprogs 1.27
    Linux C Library 2.2.5
    Dynamic linker (ldd) 2.2.5
    Linux C++ Library 5.0.0
    Procps 2.0.7
    Net-tools 1.60
    Kbd 1.06
    Sh-utils 2.0
    Modules Loaded qcamvc_pp qcamvc videodev maestro3 rtc apm 3c59x ppp_deflate zlib_deflate ppp_async ppp_generic slhc lp parport_pc parport

    Stan Zitello

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.021 / U:12.908 seconds]