SubjectIEEE1284 (Parallel Port) Kernel Build Problem
** Please CC me on any replies, as I am not subscribed to the mailing list **

It appears that the build process for the parport.o and parport_pc.o kernel
modules is not properly picking up the value of 'CONFIG_PARPORT_1284'. Even
though my .config file contains 'CONFIG_PARPORT_1284=y', a build of the kernel
does not successfully include IEEE1284 support, as evidenced by this message
in the system log file:

kernel: parport: IEEE1284 not supported in this kernel

I was able to generate a simple workaround, which I verified works, by adding
a "#define" to the relevant source code in drivers/parport/. I would have
preferred to have found the actual build problem, but I must admit to not being
able to completely decipher the build process...sorry.

I am not sure if this is relevant, but you will notice that my entire parallel
port support is via modules. The rest of the relevant entrys from .config:

#
# Parallel port support
#
CONFIG_PARPORT=m
CONFIG_PARPORT_PC=m
CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_CML1=m
# CONFIG_PARPORT_SERIAL is not set
# CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_FIFO is not set
# CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_SUPERIO is not set
CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_PCMCIA=m
# CONFIG_PARPORT_AMIGA is not set
# CONFIG_PARPORT_MFC3 is not set
# CONFIG_PARPORT_ATARI is not set
# CONFIG_PARPORT_GSC is not set
# CONFIG_PARPORT_SUNBPP is not set
# CONFIG_PARPORT_OTHER is not set
CONFIG_PARPORT_1284=y

IF it helps:
Linux llinuxi 2.4.22 #2 Wed Nov 26 13:39:27 EST 2003 i686 unknown

Gnu C 3.2
Gnu make 3.79.1
util-linux 2.11u
mount 2.11u
modutils 2.4.19
e2fsprogs 1.27
Linux C Library 2.2.5
Dynamic linker (ldd) 2.2.5
Linux C++ Library 5.0.0
Procps 2.0.7
Net-tools 1.60
Kbd 1.06
Sh-utils 2.0
Modules Loaded qcamvc_pp qcamvc videodev maestro3 rtc apm 3c59x ppp_deflate zlib_deflate ppp_async ppp_generic slhc lp parport_pc parport

regards,

Stan Zitello
stan_zitello@bellsouth.net