SubjectRe: file2alias for pnp (Re: modules.pnpmap output support)
At Thu, 27 Nov 2003 21:58:58 +0300,
Andrey Borzenkov wrote:

> On Thursday 27 November 2003 17:41, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > the attached is the patch to add pnp entries to file2alias.c.
> > i moved the definitions of pnp_device_id and pnp_card_device_id into
> > mod_devicetable.h as other devices do. if you don't like it, i'll try
> > to revert them and put definitions inside file2alias.c to keep the
> > changes minimum.
> >
> > the format of pnp alias is:
> > pnp:dXXXYYYY
> > or
> > pnp:cXXXYYYYdXXXYYYY[dXXXYYYY...]
> > where XXXYYYY is the pnp id with 7 letters (e.g. CTL0031), c shows the
> > card id, and d means the device id. multiple device ids will be
> > listed depending on the driver.
> >
> > for example,
> >
> > alias pnp:dYMH0021* opl3sa2
> > alias pnp:cALS0001d@@@0001d@X@0001d@H@0001* snd_als100
> >
> > Andrey, would it be feasible for hotplug stuff?
> >

> Will then every d be passed as separate parameter to hotplug? It means agent
> has to deal with unknown number of parameters or are there always fixed
> number of devs? apparently not as max is 8 and in your example only 3 are
> defined.

yes. the number of probed devices is variable.
note that, as seen above, there are two cases: with a card id and
without a card id. in the latter case, the card id is not checked but
only the given device id is checked, while the former case will need
checks all ids.

> If number is variable I guess better would be
>
> alias pnp:cXXXXXXdYYYYYYY[:YYYYYY...]
>
> i.e. put all devs IDs in one field; actually may be even separator is
> redundant as IDs have strict format to my knowledge.

it looks fine to me.

> Then hotplug agent gets two parameters - PNPID and PNPDEVS - and it is quite
> easy to build alias.
>
> can you give example how entries in sysfs look like (I do not have any ISA
> card). Is it possible to list them in the same order as in pnp_card_device_id
> table? Otherwise coldplugging becomes quite complicated. coldplugging script
> has to build the same string as hotplug invocation gets.

% ls -RF /sys/bus/pnp/
/sys/bus/pnp/:
devices/ drivers/

/sys/bus/pnp/devices:
00:01.00@ 00:01.01@ 00:01.02@ 00:01.03@ 00:01.04@ 00:01.05@

% ls -RF /sys/devices/pnp0/
/sys/devices/pnp0/:
00:01/ detach_state power/

/sys/devices/pnp0/00:01:
00:01.00/ 00:01.02/ 00:01.04/ detach_state
00:01.01/ 00:01.03/ 00:01.05/ power/

/sys/devices/pnp0/00:01/00:01.00:
detach_state id options power/ resources

...hmm, i don't see the card id on sysfs.
i think it's not implemented yet!

Adam, any plan to give the card id to sysfs ?

> Oh, BTW, what are those `@' in your example? If they mean single char
> wildcard, you should build them using `?' because modprobe is using normal
> fnmatch to match module name against aliases.

@ is a valid latter as the ISA pnp id string. it's not a wildcard.
(that's one of the reasons i showed it :)

the id consists of three letters [A-Z@] and four hex numbers
[0-9a-f].
one exception is 'XXXX' used as numbers, which means that any numbers
match. for example, CTLXXXX matches CTL0305, CTLa12f, etc.

ciao,

Takashi

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.076 / U:0.100 seconds]