SubjectRe: Fast timestamps
David S. Miller wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 15:41:52 -0800
> Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com> wrote:
>

>>I'll try to write up a patch that uses the TSC and lazy conversion
>>to timeval as soon as I get the rx-all and rx-fcs code happily
>>into the kernel....
>>
>>Assuming TSC is very fast and the conversion is accurate enough, I think
>>this can give good results....
>

> I'm amazed that you will be able to write a fast_timestamp
> implementation without even seeing the API I had specified
> to the various arch maintainers :-)

Well, I would only aim at x86, with generic code for the
rest of the architectures. The truth is, I'm sure others would
be better/faster at it than me, but we keep discussing it, and it
never gets done, so unless someone beats me to it, I'll take a stab
at it... Might be after Christmas though, busy December coming up!

I agree with your approach below. One thing I was thinking about:
is it possible that two threads ask for the timestamp of a single skb
concurrently? If so, we may need a lock if we want to cache the conversion
to gettimeofday units.... Of course, the case where multiple readers want
the timestamp for a single skb may be too rare to warrant caching...

Ben