SubjectRe: 2.2/2.4/2.6 VMs: do malloc() ever return NULL?
Rik van Riel wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Nov 2003, Ihar 'Philips' Filipau wrote:
>
>> 2.6: the same as 2.4 with oom killer (default conf). I have no test
>> system to check 2.6. w/o oom killer.
>

> # echo 2 > /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory
>
> Then try again.

What do you know what is not said in docs?
What '2' means?

I'll try as soon as I will have again access to 2.6 box.

this is what 2.6-test10 says:

> overcommit_memory
>
> This file contains one value. The following algorithm is used to
> decide if there's enough memory: if the value of
> overcommit_memory is positive, then there's always enough memory.
> This is a useful feature, since programs often malloc() huge amounts
> of memory 'just in case', while they only use a small part of it.
> Leaving this value at 0 will lead to the failure of such a huge
> malloc(), when in fact the system has enough memory for the program
> to run.
>
> On the other hand, enabling this feature can cause you to run out
> of memory and thrash the system to death, so large and/or important
> servers will want to set this value to 0.

Could this special case 'sysctl_overcommit_memory > 1' be added and
explained? (mmap.c:589)
I cannot tell what it does - but name 'security_vm_enough_memory()'
sounds promising ;-)

As I have said - I will check this later when I will get to those box.

--
Ihar 'Philips' Filipau / with best regards from Saarbruecken.
-- _ _ _