    SubjectRe: Bad interactivity with 2.6-test9
    Date
    On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 07:03 am, Stan Bubrouski wrote:
    > On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 13:54, Rik van Riel wrote:
    > > On Sun, 16 Nov 2003, Stan Bubrouski wrote:
    > > > When I start watching a video under mplayer and have something like
    > > > spamassassin doing a sa-learn in an x-term if I start the sa-learn
    > > > before mplayer and then play a video, the sa-learn makes no progress
    > > > until I switch away from mplayer (playing full screen). After which
    > > > sa-learn continues to filter through messages much faster, and even
    > > > while mplayer is going is still progressing much faster than before I
    > > > switched away from mplayer the first time.
    > > >
    > > > Very odd. Con anyone ideas?
    > >
    > > Looks like scheduler starvation. Con ?
    >
    > Seems like it. I'll do some testing later to see exactly how
    > consistently I can reproduce this. I have noticed this numerous times
    > all with -test9.

    Usual checks. See if it happened with test6,7,8 as well as 9.
    Do `vmstat 1' output to file and `top -d 1' output to file. They can tell if
    it's a dynamic priority related scheduler starvation issue.

    Con

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.043 / U:0.924 seconds]