    SubjectRe: [RFCI] How best to partition MD/raid devices in 2.6
    On Friday November 14, wrote:
    > On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 22:11, Neil Brown wrote:
    > > RFCI == Request For Clever Ideas.
    > >
    > > Hi all..
    > >
    > > I want be able to partition "md" raid arrays.
    > > e.g. I want to be able to use RAID1 to mirror sda and sdb as whole
    > > drives, and then partitions that into root, swap, other (or whatever
    > > suits the particular situation).
    > <snip>
    > Can't LVM do this? I have a raid array (mirror) that is LVM'd into
    > multiple partitions. It currently runs 2.4, but it should work fine
    > with 2.6, right? All the rest of my boxes have 2.6 and LVM, but no raid
    > (no duplicate hard drives).

    Fair question.
    I want it to work with "standard" partition tables such as MSDOS
    partitions etc.
    I would like to be able to take a single drive that is being used and
    has partitions on it, and to add an identical drive beside it, mirror
    them, and get a mirrored pair that looked much like the original
    There are issues with the raid superblock but assuming they can be
    solved, I want partitioning to work easily.

    Can LVM work happily with 'legacy' partitioning information?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.020 / U:44.208 seconds]