SubjectRe: 2.4.23-pre9 ide+XFree+ptrace=Complete hang
On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Maciej Zenczykowski wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > A serial console may be easier than a binary search, but either sound like
> > they should find it.
> Well a binary search did find it - it just took ages... and unfortunately
> I have no easy way to set up a serial console...

Well I got a hold of the necessary cabling and I'm sorry to report that
there is absolutely nothing on the serial console - I get the boot
messages, etc. fine, the last message before crashing is 'Loglevel set to
9' [invoked by hand via Alt+SysRq+9], after which I crash it with 'strace
ls -lR /' (as a normal user) and nothing else shows up, no oops no nada.
After it crashed I attempted different Alt+SysRq combos (H/T/M/P/S/U) with
no effect as well - even the help didn't show. This is still via the
keyboard (not sure how to send a sysrq via serial), although I'm almost
sure now that it wouldn't help - the system is just plain totally
and completely dead, even the system bios is likely dead - including the
System Management Mode code (likely responsible for lighting up the LED
on fn key press/release, which no longer works [although not on every
crash]).

Cheers,
MaZe.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:1.259 / U:0.020 seconds]