    SubjectRe: Why can't I shut scsi device support off in -test9?
    On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 15:27:23 -0600 Rob Landley <rob@landley.net> wrote:

    | On Wednesday 12 November 2003 10:58, Randy.Dunlap wrote:

    | > I also have no trouble disabling CONFIG_SCSI with this .config file,
    | > using any of 'make menuconfig|xconfig|oldconfig' ($EDITOR + oldconfig).
    | >
    | > on 2.6.0-test9 plain
    | >
    | > A quick grep of all Kconfig files finds only USB_STORAGE that
    | > does a "select SCSI" when it (USB_STORAGE) is enabled.
    |
    | Huh, so IDE scsi emulation doesn't? (Not that I use it. I want SCSI _off_.)

    No, ide-scsi, IEEE1394 SBP2, etc., just do this:
    depends on SCSI [&& others in some cases]

    while USB_STORAGE turns SCSI on if it's selected:
    select SCSI

    | Hmmm... I just extracted a fresh tarball and tried again and had the same
    | problem. Possibly I'm looking in the wrong place? "Device drivers"->"SCSI
    | Devices", top of the menu the option is "---" instead of selectable. Seems
    | an odd place to put the SCSI bus, but I can't find it it any of the menus
    | above that (and I just spent another 5 minutes looking).
    |
    | It's too late in the development cycle to complain about the menu layout, but
    | as soon as 2.7 opens... (Okay, I'll get lost in the noise, but still...)
    |
    | Rob
    |
    | Don't worry, if I get really bored, I'll start sticking printfs into kconfig.
    | In the mean time, I can pipe .config through "grep -v SCSI" for my own
    | purposes...

    Go for it. Although others should be able to reproduce it...

    --
    ~Randy
    MOTD: Always include version info.