SubjectRe: kernel.bkbits.net off the air
Davide Libenzi wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
>

>>the updates shows up on kernel.org, rsync can't even hang on per-file
>>locks, sure it can't be coherent as a whole.
>>
>>The best way to fix this isn't to add locking to rsync, but to add two
>>files inside or outside the tree, each one is a sequence number, so you
>>fetch file1 first, then you rsync and you fetch file2, then you compare
>>them. If they're the same, your rsync copy is coherent. It's the same
>>locking we introduced with vgettimeofday.
>>
>>Ideally rsync could learn to check the sequence numbers by itself but I
>>don't mind a bit of scripting outside of rsync.
>
> Wouldn't a simpler "stop-rsync -> update-root -> start-rsync" work? If
> you'll hit an update you will get a error from your local rsync, that will
> let you know to retry the operation.

Part of the problem is that there are multiple steps in the rsync chain,
some of which can't be stopped in this way.

The sequence number idea looks sensible to me. Larry, would it be too
much work to have the cvs repository generator generate these files?

-hpa

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.072 / U:0.068 seconds]