    SubjectRe: Some thoughts about stable kernel development
    On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 07:41:02PM +0100, Krzysztof Halasa wrote:

    > Hi,

    Hi Krzysztof,

    > Here is what I propose:
    > As all of you know, the development cycle can be shortened by using
    > two separate trees for a stable kernel line.
    >
    > Say, we're now at 2.4.23-rc1 stage. This "rc" kernel would also be
    > known as 2.4.24-pre1. The maintainer would apply "rc"-class fixes to
    > both kernels, and other patches (which can't go to "rc" kernel) would
    > be applied to 2.4.24-pre1 only.
    > Comments?

    I don't like this idea for the following reason:

    A -rc kernel of a stable series needs maximum testing to avoid any
    regressions compared to the previous stable kernel.

    If you start a new -pre series at the time of an -rc series many people
    will use the new -pre instead of the latest -rc decreasing the number of
    people testing this -rc and therefore increasing the risk of problems in
    the final kernel.

    > Krzysztof Halasa, B*FH

    cu
    Adrian