    SubjectRe: Something corrupts raid5 disks slightly during reboot
    On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 05:57:33PM -0800, you [Mike Fedyk] wrote:
    > On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 07:41:30PM -0600, Jeffrey E. Hundstad wrote:
    > > Try:
    > >
    > > hdparm -W0 /dev/hdX
    > >
    > > for each of your ide drives. This turns off write-caching which is
    > > usually a bad thing with ide drives anyway.
    > >
    > Also try installing smartmontools, and run smartmon -a on each of the
    > drives. It might tell you one of the drives is going bad...

    I am monitoring all my drives with smart constantly, and they haven't shown
    any symptoms. The corruption only happens upon reboot, which is a quite
    rare event for a server.

    Also, I find that smart rarely gives much useful warnings beforehand when a
    drive is about to fail. And when the drive fails I usually get a good doze
    of UncorrectableErrors into the log, not silent corruption (and I've seen a
    lot drives to fail ;( ). Silent corruption is usually caused by the chipset
    or driver (seen that, too ;( ), but it has usually happened under stress,
    not when nothing much is being written to the drive.

    -- v --

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.036 / U:2.544 seconds]