    SubjectRe: Who changed /proc/<pid>/ in 2.6.0-test5-bk9?
    In article <>,
    Ulrich Drepper <> wrote:

    | The kernel thread functionality is not used 1-to-1 in the userlevel
    | interfaces of the pthread library. One very specific combination of all
    | the CLONE_* flags is used in libpthread. Other users of the kernel
    | might use other combinations and they won't implement pthreads. That
    | is perfectly fine and if it fits your bill, do it. But none of this
    | ever has any influence on the pthread interface. The properties like
    | sharing of file descriptors are guaranteed.

    I confess that my first reaction to this topic was that I could add an
    attribute when starting a thread, and then use existing code (pthreads)
    and just take advantage of the non-fd-sharing.

    Pseudo code: (some of the if's are clearly ifdef)

    if linux add_noshare_to_attributes
    for (;;) {
    fd = listen();
    if linux clode fd

    Clearly that isn't what's needed, I would probably define a
    start_service_and_close_fd_ifUcan macro/procedure. When this is stable
    and 2.6 is closer to production quality I will probably modify a few
    applications to see what benefits might be available.
    bill davidsen <>
    CTO, TMR Associates, Inc

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.023 / U:38.980 seconds]