    Subjectinitcall ordering of driver w/respect to tty_init?
    I have a tty driver, arch/v850/kernel/simcons.c, who's init function is
    called via __initcall:

    int __init simcons_tty_init (void)
    struct tty_driver *driver = alloc_tty_driver(1);
    err = tty_register_driver(driver);
    __initcall (simcons_tty_init);

    I'm getting errors because this init function is being called _before_
    tty_init, and tty_kobj (which is the `parent' kobj of simcon's kobj) is
    apparently not setup correctly yet when the simcons_tty_init calls

    Since there seems to be no way of ordering basic initcalls, I can see
    why it's happening. But what's the proper way to avoid this? Other
    tty drivers that call tty_register_driver also seem to get initialized
    via initcalls (usually declared with module_init), so maybe this
    problem exists for other drivers too.

    Come now, if we were really planning to harm you, would we be waiting here,
    beside the path, in the very darkest part of the forest?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.040 / U:49.028 seconds]