    SubjectRe: RFC: changes to microcode update driver.
    On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 03:58:00AM -0700, Tigran Aivazian wrote:
    > Hi guys,
    > It's been a long time that I was going to send to Linux the patch with the
    > following changes, but the birth of my first child intervened and caused
    > delays (though can't call them "unexpected" :)

    Congrats 8-)

    > 1. Remove ->read() method for /dev/cpu/microcode device node and do not
    > hold a copy of applied microcode chunks in kernel memory. In the days when
    > we had a regular devfs file with a non-zero size this had at least some
    > potential use but now this feature is almost useless and removing it would
    > allow a lot of code cleanup and simplification.
    > 2. remove MICROCODE_IOCFREE ioctl for freeing the copy of held microcode
    > (because there won't be such copy, see 1.)

    Assuming that it can be done without the old tools breaking, sounds good
    to me. How will microcode_ctl -i react if you remove the ioctl ?
    Folks _will_ upgrade kernels without updating userspace.

    Dave Jones

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.019 / U:15.516 seconds]