SubjectRe: Can't X be elemenated?
On Tue, 7 Oct 2003, Pavel Machek wrote:

> Hi!

> > >Well, qt and gtk solve pretty much same problem,
> > >their existence seems like historical accident to me.
> >
> > Hmm. World (also in linux kernel) is not so efficient!
> > There are more tools for same task/problem. Maybe in the long run only one
> > tools per problem will survive, but the diversity is good, also at cost of
> > the duplicate work.
>
> It is not where you have competing interfaces.
>
> > Do you want only one distribution for user, one for small companies, one
> > for schools,...? Do you want only one web server implementation? Only one
> > filesystem per task (only one journaling FS)?
> > Are they all "historical accident"?
>
> Well, I'm pretty glad there's only one glibc, and only one http
> protocol, and only one X protocol. And it would be way better if there
> was just one toolkit commonly used on Linux.

true, there is only one glibc, but there is not just one c library (uclib,
etc) and while there is only one http protocol there is not just a single
webserver api (netscape, IIS, apache 1.3, apache 2.0 all have different
api's)

there do need to be common points, in the case of GUI's on *nix X is the
common point, the toolkits used to write programs don't need to all have
the exact same api.

David Lang