    SubjectRe: Idea for improving linux buffer cache behaviour
    On Sat, Oct 04, 2003 at 03:14:14PM -0400, Rik van Riel wrote:
    > On Sat, 4 Oct 2003, David Ashley wrote:
    > > Forgive me if this has already been thought of, or is obsolete, or is
    > > just plain a bad idea, but here it is:
    > Do you also want an answer if the kernel already does
    > exactly what you are suggesting ? ;)

    Then why doesn't it work better?

    > > 1) Lowest access count looked at first to toss
    > > 2) If access counts equal, throw out oldest first
    > > The net result is commonly used items you very much want to remain in
    > > cache always quickly get rated very highly as the system is used.
    > Which results in exactly the behaviour you're complaining
    > about ;))

    So, you use the system, have glibc loaded, and then play a dvd, and now
    glibc needs to be re-read because it's not in cache.

    Why wasn't glibc (one example) kept in cache with the streaming read from
    the dvd?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.018 / U:51.832 seconds]