SubjectRe: CMD680, kernel 2.4.21, and heartache (fwd)
Bruce Allen <ballen@gravity.phys.uwm.edu> writes:

>> Yeah, it says 196, and that's bizarre. 196 whats? From looking at other
>> example output, the '1441854' number is usually the true deg. C of the
>> machine. But I'm reasonably sure that it's not at a million and a half
>> centigrade.
>
> You need to use a more recent version of smartctl -- one with better
> documentation and clearer output. Get smartmontools 5.1-18 from
> http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/ and read the documentation. Don't
> use the 5.19 release -- it's flawed.
>
> This should answer your questions. If not, post the output from (the
> smartmontools 5.1-18 version of) smartctl -a and I'll comment.
>
> [Regarding the temperature, the Drive ID string in your output was:
> Device: IC35L120AVV207-0 which is an IBM/Hitachi drive, not a Samsung
> drive as you stated in your original post. If so, the drive stores three
> temperatures internally in six bytes. smartmontools will display all
> three temperatures (current, lifetime min and lifetime max). The outdated
> version of smartctl that you are using simply prints the bottom four of
> the six bytes -- hence the very large number] .

Right you are. I'm sorry, I thought they were Samsungs at first, saw
otherwise after that post, figured it wasn't a major point of contention.
But, IBM --- doesn't their hard drive division not exist anymore because of
massive failures?

- Erik

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.063 / U:0.472 seconds]