SubjectRe: [linux-usb-devel] Re: serious 2.6 bug in USB subsystem?
David Mosberger wrote:

> David.B> David Mosberger wrote:
> >> After spending a bit more time on this, it looks to me like the
> >> keyboard is crashing the system very early on.
>
> David.B> I think there are some devices that choke the HID
> David.B> code;
>
> And nobody is alarmed by this? Surely crashing the kernel by plugging
> in a USB device must be considered a MUST-FIX item. Perhaps I missed
> something, but I never saw this mentioned before.

You sound alarmed! If that's alarmed enough to find out what
the real problem is, maybe you'll end up fixing it ... :)

I could be wrong about the problem being in the HID code, but
that does look like a likely home for the bug. We know there
are other issues with HID/input/hiddev/... that need attention.

> Having said that, out of
> that 6 or so devices, that particular keyboard is the only one causing
> crashes. However, note that it works (mostly) fine under 2.4 and even
> if they keyboard were total crap, it certainly shouldn't crash the
> kernel.

Agreed, oopsing == bad. HID needs more attention. I suspect whoever
dives into that will want to know what you mean by "(mostly) fine";
that might give a clue about what 2.6 changes worsened the failures.

- Dave

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.094 / U:0.120 seconds]