    SubjectRe: Things that Longhorn seems to be doing right
    Keep in mind that just because Windows does thing a certain way
    doesn't mean we have to provide the same functionality in exactly the
    same way.

    Also keep in mind that Microsoft very deliberately blurs what they do
    in their "kernel" versus what they provide via system libraries (i.e.,
    API's provided via their DLL's, or shared libraries).

    At some level what they have done can be very easily replicated by
    having a userspace database which is tied to the filesystem so you can
    do select statements to search on metadata assocated with files. We
    can do this simply by associating UUID's to files, and storing the
    file metadata in a MySQL database which can be searched via
    appropriate userspace libraries which we provide.

    Please do **not** assume that just because of the vaporware press
    releases released by Microsoft that (a) they have pushed an SQL Query
    optimizer into the kernel, or that (b) even if they did, we should
    follow their bad example and attempt to do the same.

    There are multiple ways of skinning this particular cat, and we don't
    need to blindly follow Microsoft's design mistakes.

    Fortunately, I have enough faith in Linus Torvalds' taste that I'm not
    particularly worried what would happen if someone were to send him a
    patch that attempted to cram MySQL or Postgres into the guts of the
    Linux kernel.... although I would like to watch when someone proposes
    such a thing!

    - Ted

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:3.287 / U:0.076 seconds]