    SubjectRe: Unbloating the kernel, was: :mem=16MB laptop testing
    In article <>, Sandy Harris  <> wrote:
    | wrote:
    | > Let me concur with the sentiments on this thread.
    | Me too.
    | > ... There are many people who will never be able to afford
    | > to buy a computer but could find someone to give them one of these
    | > "hopelessy outdated" machines for nothing.
    | Some people may be able to get more than one. A year or two
    | back a peniless friend of mine built quite a nice environment
    | for himself with two 486 boxes and a pile of SPARC IIs.
    | Also, there are server applications that don't need much. For
    | example, a firewall and NAT box for an ADSL line, or a print
    | spooler or ...
    | You could even build a Beowulf out of such machines
    | > If we can ensure that
    | > Linux keeps working on these machines, it will be a good thing.

    Agreed, until you start to talk cluster. If you pay for electricity, newer
    machines use less per MHz. One of those $200 "Lindows" boxen from
    Wal-Mart starts to look good about the 2nd old Pentium!
    bill davidsen <>
    CTO, TMR Associates, Inc

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.019 / U:54.852 seconds]