SubjectRe: Unbloating the kernel, was: :mem=16MB laptop testing
Date
In article <3F8CE3EB.8040907@storm.ca>, Sandy Harris  <sandy@storm.ca> wrote:
| jlnance@unity.ncsu.edu wrote:
|
| > Let me concur with the sentiments on this thread.
|
| Me too.
|
| > ... There are many people who will never be able to afford
| > to buy a computer but could find someone to give them one of these
| > "hopelessy outdated" machines for nothing.
|
| Some people may be able to get more than one. A year or two
| back a peniless friend of mine built quite a nice environment
| for himself with two 486 boxes and a pile of SPARC IIs.
|
| Also, there are server applications that don't need much. For
| example, a firewall and NAT box for an ADSL line, or a print
| spooler or ...
|
| You could even build a Beowulf out of such machines
| http://stonesoup.esd.ornl.gov/
|
| > If we can ensure that
| > Linux keeps working on these machines, it will be a good thing.

Agreed, until you start to talk cluster. If you pay for electricity, newer
machines use less per MHz. One of those $200 "Lindows" boxen from
Wal-Mart starts to look good about the 2nd old Pentium!
--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
CTO, TMR Associates, Inc