SubjectRe: FEATURE REQUEST: Specific Processor Optimizations on x86 Architecture
Michael Rozhavsky wrote:
>>Considered the time normally spent in the kernel, a few percent faster
>>code there wouldn't be noticeable.
>
> What about firewall/router applications?

First. Network stack is already hand-optimized.
Second. It will not make software firewall/routers running faster -
especially regarding latencies - bottleneck is elsewhere.

Just FYI.

P.S. Actually I find Linux kernel being quite good hand optimized
already. But in any way, life in kernel would be made easier have we
decent portable compiler. But as to compilers 'decent portable' really
sounds like 'mission imposible'. And primary goal of gcc sure standard
conformance and portability - and it does this well. That's actually why
we are using it ;-)

-- Person using gcc on Linux 2.4 x86/ppc32 & Solaris 8/9 with no
problems at all.

--
Ihar 'Philips' Filipau / with best regards from Saarbruecken.