SubjectRe: [Dri-devel] Re: [Linux-fbdev-devel] DRM and pci_driver conversion

[ Jeff: is that PCI ROM enable _really_ that complicated? Ouch. Or is
there some helper function I missed? ]

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Jon Smirl wrote:

> I don't think DRM drivers are doing things correctly yet. DRM is missing the
> code for marking PCI resources as being in use while DRM is using them. This
> could lead to problems with hotplug. XFree is also mapping PCI ROMs in without
> informing the kernel and that can definitely cause problems.

Absolutely. Changing PCI configurations without telling the kernel _will_
cause problems. Especially for hotplug systems, but it's also very iffy to
do if the card is behind a PCI bridge, since you have to take bridge
resources into account (and know which bridges are transparent, which are
not, etc etc).

The kernel spends a lot of effort on getting this right, and even so it
fails every once in a while (devices that use IO or memory regions without
announcing them in the standard BAR's are quite common, and the kernel has
to have special quirk entries for things like that).

Few enough drivers actually want to enable the roms, but the code should
look something like

/* Assign space for ROM resource if not already assigned. Ugly. */
if (!pci_resource_start(dev, PCI_ROM_RESOURCE))
if (pci_assign_resource(dev, PCI_ROM_RESOURCE) < 0)
return -ENOMEM;

/* Enable it. This is too ugly */
if (!(pci_resource_flags(dev, PCI_ROM_RESOURCE) & PCI_ROM_ADDRESS_ENABLE)) {
u32 val;
pci_read_config_dword(dev, PCI_ROM_ADDRESS, &val);
val |= PCI_ROM_ADDRESS_ENABLE;
pci_write_config_dword(dev, PCI_ROM_ADDRESS, val);
pci_resource_flags(dev, PCI_ROM_RESOURCE) |= PCI_ROM_ADDRESS_ENABLE;
}

/* Enable the device, and regular resources */
if (pci_enable_device(dev))
return -ENODEV;

pci_set_master(dev); /* If we want to */
pci_set_mwi(dev); /* If we want to */

(Yeah, that is more complex than it really should need to be. That's just
a sign of exactly how few device drivers tend to want to do this: the
usual helper stuff is all geared for the normal case).

> new style probe
> if (new probe has device)
> mark resources in use

You shouldn't need to mark the resources in use. Just registering the
driver should do everything for you, including making sure that no other
driver will register that device.

Of course, if you are worried about mixing with drivers that use the old
"find device and just use it", then yes, you'll need to mark the resources
in use. That can be as trivial as just doing a

if (pci_request_regions(dev, "drivername") < 0)
return -EAIIEEEE!;

in the probe function (but then you need to remember to release them in
the drop function).

Linus

  Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.084 / U:0.324 seconds]