    SubjectRe: Blockbusting news, results are in
    > What is apparently missing is better handling of the
    > uncorrectable errors. Specifically the ability to pass the
    > errors and warnings up to the OS for evaluation and for the
    > OS to be able to request a block remap or to undo a block
    > remap.

    Why this suggestion keeping coming up, I have no idea. If you take
    the idea to it's extreme, it's basically saying that we should
    off-load all processing on to the host. Although there has been a
    move towards dumb peripherals in recent years, (E.G. software modems),
    I have seen almost no even vaguely convincing arguments other than
    cost as to why they are superior, (lower latency has been mentioned
    with regard to software modems - I fail to see the benefit, although I
    suppose it might exist for games players). Apart from some data
    recovery applications, I don't see how it is possible to do anything
    really useful simply by adding the ability to pass some warnings and
    errors up to the OS, without giving the OS access to all of the data
    that the drive firmware has access to.

    Obviously drives with completely open and free firmware would be
    great, but that is not likely to happen in the near future, so for the
    time being, if you don't like the way drives handle defect management,
    complain to the manufactuers. I am satisfied with the way Maxtor
    disks handle defect management, both Eric's explainations and my own
    observations.

    John.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.033 / U:91.016 seconds]