    SubjectRe: Where's the bzip2 compressed linux-kernel patch?
    On Sun, Oct 19, 2003 at 07:00:47PM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
    > upx is upx-1.22.
    >
    > So you're talking about something that compresses LESS well than gzip. Why?

    I'm not talking about something that compresses LESS than gzip, I'm talking
    about something I almost always use to recompress my kernels and reduce their
    size by 20% over gzip, and decompress way faster.

    It's upx-1.90 (which is able to decompress/recompress bzimage). OK it's still
    a development version, but it has already saved me megs of flash.

    I don't know how the tests above were done. But what I know for sure is that
    there are excessive open source zealots who would only download the OSS
    version of UPX which uses the UCL library while the closed source version
    uses the NRV one which is a jewel.

    And you know what ? when I put a complete distro on a 8MB flash, my primary
    concern is to save as much space as possible, and my ability to read the
    compressor sources only comes next.

    BTW, I don't remember every upx argument, but I'm sure I got best numbers
    with '--best --crp-ms=100000'.

    > And no, gzip -9 does not add anything to decompression time, only
    > compression time.

    Where did you get this interesting idea ? every decompressor needs
    decompression time. You need the compressed kernel to be in memory, then you
    decompress it, then you boot it. On my old 386sx which was still my home
    firewall 6 months ago, the kernel would take 2-3 seconds to decompress with
    gzip while it was almost unnoticeable with upx (which did it in place, BTW).

    Now don't get me wrong, I'm not advertising for upx. But bzip2 was proposed
    and will always be criticized because of its decompression time and cost in
    terms of memory. So I simply suggested to take a look at other solutions
    which seem interesting. An UPX-based implementation seems interesting to me
    only if the decompression code is free and can be put in the kernel. Otherwise
    it is not. If the numbers above come from the UCL lib, then we at least know
    that this one doesn't interest us for this matter. Some people would also
    suggest taking a look at other compression algorithms which can be of
    interest, but I don't know their sources status (open/close).

    > I can make bunzip work in-place if you'd like

    That's very important for low-memory systems.

    Regards,
    Willy

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.056 / U:0.308 seconds]