SubjectRe: LVM Snapshots

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 09:12:30 -0200 (BRST)
Marcelo Tosatti <> wrote:

> > > I am using a 2.4.22 kernel from together with an
> > > XFS patch from SGI. I want to use LVM for creating snapshots for
> > > backups, but I found out that I cannot mount the snapshots of
> > > journalling filesystems (EXT3, XFS, Reiser). Only JFS snapshots
> > > can be mounted. My research on internet gave the result that a
> > > kernel-patch must be used to solve that problem, but I could not
> > > find such a patch for Linux 2.4.22, so where can I get it?
> >
> > Marcelo decided not to apply that needed patch. Here it is for you
> > to play with :) ... It'll apply with offsets to 2.4.23-pre7.
> Because the patch touches generic fs code.
> Dont use LVM with XFS for now.

I have used them together. The only thing that made problems at first
after applying the LVM-patch was that I did not know that the special
option "nouuid" is needed when mounting an XFS-Snapshot. But afterwards
I had no problem so far.

So why do you think that I should not use XFS on a logical volume?