SubjectRe: Transparent compression in the FS
On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 04:04:48PM -0700, jw schultz wrote:
> The idea of this sort of block level hashing to allow
> sharing of identical blocks seems attractive but i wouldn't
> trust any design that did not accept as given that there
> would be false positives.

But at the same time we rely on TCP/IP which uses a hash (checksum)
to detect back packets. It seems to work well in practice even
though the hash is weak and the network corrupts a lot of packets.

Lots of machines dont have ECC ram and seem to work reasonably well.

It seems like these two are a lot more likely to bit you than hash
collisions in MD5. But Ill have to go read the paper to see what
Im missing.