    SubjectRe: Transparent compression in the FS
    On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 04:04:48PM -0700, jw schultz wrote:

    > The idea of this sort of block level hashing to allow
    > sharing of identical blocks seems attractive but i wouldn't
    > trust any design that did not accept as given that there
    > would be false positives.

    But at the same time we rely on TCP/IP which uses a hash (checksum)
    to detect back packets. It seems to work well in practice even
    though the hash is weak and the network corrupts a lot of packets.

    Lots of machines dont have ECC ram and seem to work reasonably well.

    It seems like these two are a lot more likely to bit you than hash
    collisions in MD5. But Ill have to go read the paper to see what
    Im missing.

    Thanks,

    Jim

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.025 / U:1.224 seconds]