    SubjectRe: Transparent compression in the FS
    On Thu, 2003-10-16 at 17:02, Jeff Garzik wrote:

    > I'm curious if anyone has done any work on using multiple different
    > checksums? For example, the cost of checksumming a single block with
    > multiple algorithms (sha1+md5+crc32 for a crazy example), and storing
    > each checksum (instead of just one sha1 sum), may be faster than reading
    > the block off of disk to compare it with the incoming block. OTOH,
    > there is still a mathematical possibility (however-more-remote) of a
    > collission...

    I don't think multiple hashes will gain any more uniqueness over just a
    larger hash value. But as long as the hash is smaller than the block
    being hashed there is the possibility of two dissimilar blocks producing
    the same hash.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.020 / U:122.224 seconds]