    SubjectRe: Transparent compression in the FS
    On Wed, 2003-10-15 at 09:33, Erik Mouw wrote:

    > Nowadays disks are so incredibly cheap, that transparent compression
    > support is not realy worth it anymore (IMHO).

    Well, just a for-instance... my application is for a data recovery
    company. We have 4 bulk servers with a total of around 2TB of storage,
    so we're certainly availing ourselves of the low prices of IDE disks.
    Most of this stuff is just archival; we keep it around as long as
    possible in case our customers discover a month later that they're
    missing a file or two. We could probably increase our capacity by a
    factor of 5 by compressing these volumes, and the performance penalties
    wouldn't hurt us. Honestly, if this is not a supportable thing, we will
    probably just elect to incur the overhead of tar -j'ing things after the
    customer signs off on the job.

    I'm leaning on The Management to find and pay someone to support this in
    ext3, but I don't think that's in the near future, unfortunately.

    Josh Litherland (
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.021 / U:0.912 seconds]