    SubjectRe: Why are bad disk sectors numbered strangely, and what happens to them?
    Date
    Hans Reiser wrote:

    > I think the problem is that many users don't know how to trigger the bad
    > sector remapping for the case where the drive can still remap, using
    > writes to the bad blocks, and probably our faq needs updating.

    This is indeed one of the problems[*]. The other problem is that it seems
    to be absurdly difficult to find which file contains the bad sector. Even
    though a file could have multiple hard links, it would be enough to get one
    pathname for the file, in order to know which file needs to be reconstructed
    from a source of good data.

    [* Of course I also wish that the original failing write had been detected
    by the drive, but this failure isn't software's fault. I hope.]

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.036 / U:2.936 seconds]