SubjectRe: Why are bad disk sectors numbered strangely, and what happens to them?
Hans Reiser wrote:

> I think the problem is that many users don't know how to trigger the bad
> sector remapping for the case where the drive can still remap, using
> writes to the bad blocks, and probably our faq needs updating.

This is indeed one of the problems[*]. The other problem is that it seems
to be absurdly difficult to find which file contains the bad sector. Even
though a file could have multiple hard links, it would be enough to get one
pathname for the file, in order to know which file needs to be reconstructed
from a source of good data.

[* Of course I also wish that the original failing write had been detected
by the drive, but this failure isn't software's fault. I hope.]