SubjectRe: Strange dcache memory pressure when highmem enabled
On Tuesday October 14, akpm@osdl.org wrote:
> Neil Brown <neilb@cse.unsw.edu.au> wrote:
> >
> > I noticed that shrink_caches calls shrink_dcache_memory independant
> > of the classzone that is being shrunk. So if we are trying to
> > shrink ZONE_HIGHMEM, the dentry_cache is shrunk, even though the
> > dentry_cache doesn't live in highmem. However I'm not sure if I have
> > understood the classzones well enough for that observation even to
> > make sense.
>
> Makes heaps of sense. Here's an instabackport of what we did in
> 2.6:

Hey!!! That's what I call *Service*.

I'll give it a try tomorrow (let the poor students get a feeling of
stability first before I start changing things again :-)

> + if (classzone - classzone->zone_pgdat->node_zones <
> + ZONE_HIGHMEM) {

That's the bit I was missing. I feel that once I fully understand
that, I will be a long way towards understanding the zones memory
management :-)

NeilBrown

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.068 / U:0.640 seconds]