    SubjectRe: ld-Script needed OR (predicted) Architecture of Kernel 3.0 ;-)
    On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, [iso-8859-1] Hartmut Zybell wrote:

    > First things first: Please CC me, because I'm not
    > subscribed.
    > I need a ld-Script to construct an elf-File that is a
    > tar-File too. Can
    > anyone help me? Especially the Checksum is tricky.

    I don't think you are aware that the kernel is compressed,
    then expanded when installed. It therefore has all the good
    attributes of a `tar.gz` file without any of the bad ones.

    Also, we have a module loader and unloader that allows modules
    to be inserted and removed from a running system. There are
    even experimental systems that allow the whole kernel to be
    changed without (apparent) re-booting.

    A file with a 'tar' header is useful for recovering a
    directory tree, intact, as it was initially backed-up.
    It has no usefulness in the kernel where the content
    of a file (or files) are located into various offsets
    in RAM. This is done by the linker and 'helper code'
    within the kernel itself.

    You can readily run an install-system without any
    runtime libraries and/or you can use temporary ones.
    This is currently done for every major distribution.

    The runtime libraries are not used by the kernel.
    Instead they are used by user-mode code.

    Dick Johnson
    Penguin : Linux version 2.4.22 on an i686 machine (797.90 BogoMips).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.030 / U:0.172 seconds]