    SubjectDeja vu...
    Date
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I vaguely remember back at the end of 1998 the
    big "let's ship 2.2" push crescendoed towards the end of the year after two
    and a half years of development, there was the big push to ship it by
    christmas, then by new years, and after missing both deadlines it shipped a
    dot-zero release in january 1999, followed shortly thereafter by a "brown
    paper bag" bugfix release.

    The big "let's ship 2.4" push crescendoed towards the end of 2000, after
    about two and a half years of development (give or take the 2.2 stabilization
    period before 2.3 forked off), there was a big push to ship it by christmas,
    then by new years, and after missing both deadlines it shipped a dot-zero at
    the start of january 2001, followed by the brown paper bag...

    It's now coming up on two and a half years of development towards 2.6. It's
    getting towards the end of the year. (I take Linus is aiming to have the 2.6
    release out by this christmas? ;)

    Does this seem kind of familiar to anyone else...?

    Rob

    (I don't remember if 2.1 had a new feature freeze a year or so before the
    final code freeze the way 2.3 and 2.5 did, but it does seem we've got a
    pattern going here. But then I'm sleep-deprived right now, and could easily
    be imagining it...)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.022 / U:4.412 seconds]