SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.0-test6

Pedro Larroy wrote:

>On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 12:55:12PM -0400, Ed Sweetman wrote:
>
>>Nick Piggin wrote:

>>>AFAIK, Con's scheduler doesn't change the nice implementation at all.
>>>Possibly some of his changes amplify its problems, or, more likely they
>>>remove most other scheduler problems leaving this one noticable.
>>>
>>>If X is running at -20, and xmms at +19, xmms is supposed to still get
>>>5% of the CPU. Should be enough to run fine. Unfortunately this is
>>>achieved by giving X very large timeslices, so xmms's scheduling latency
>>>becomes large. The interactivity bonuses don't help, either.
>>>

>>there are 40 positions between -20 and 19, that doesn't equal 5% steps.
>>They don't even refer to % of cpu. If i nice a process to -20 it
>>doesn't get a given percentage of cpu just because it's -20. I may have
>>other processes at -20 as well. If you nice something to -20 and it is
>>actually using that cpu then things that are +19 shouldn't run and wont
>>run. If I nice -20 vmstat 1, it's not going to starve xmms (or any
>>better audio player). -20 means starve all and it should do that when
>>it actually makes use of the resources.
>>

>Why not run xmms with SCHED_RR or SCHED_FIFO?

Well because playing an mp3 really is a pitiful task for modern CPUs,
and the standard scheduler should handle this fine. Also a music skip
isn't terribly important.

Realtime applications are difficult to make robust and they can easily
hang the system.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.181 / U:0.604 seconds]