    SubjectRe: "Mother" == "computer-illiterate"
    On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 12:20:43AM -0700, Val Henson wrote:
    > On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 11:29:47AM +0900, Miles Bader wrote:
    > >
    > > If someone's mom (having heard the gossip) asks their computer-literate
    > > child, `What is this XXX thing, anyway?', the answer is likely to be
    > > very different when XXX is "GNU" as opposed to when XXX is "Linux".
    >
    > How come no one ever talks about a Linux distribution so easy that
    > your grandfather could install it? Or a kernel configuration tool so
    > simple that even Uncle Timmy can use it?
    >
    > Can we quit with the "clueless mother" examples already? My own
    > mother has installed more distributions of Linux than I've even logged
    > into. I know quite a few mothers who have PhDs in CS, own several
    > CS-related patents, and/or made important fundamental discoveries in
    > CS. Hint: Find out who invented the spanning tree algorithm for
    > ethernet bridges, $10 ThinkGeek gift certificate to the first person
    > who emails me the correct answer.

    And the winner is David Hoose, who sent the answer to me 10 minutes
    after the message to linux-kernel arrived in my mail queue. The
    answer is:

    Radia Perlman

    She is the inventor of the spanning tree algorithm, the author of
    "Interconnections: Bridges, Routers, Switches, and Internetworking
    Protocols" from Addison-Wesley, and the mother of at least two
    children. Honorable mention to: Joe Perches, Joe Sloan, Chris Ricker,
    Larry McVoy, and "Disconnect," real name withheld.

    -VAL

    P.S. For extra credit (but no ThinkGeek certificate) you can look up
    the following women in computer science, some of whom are mothers:
    Mary Baker, Margo Seltzer, Monica Lam, Ellen Spertus, Carla Ellis, and
    Barbara Simons.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:32    [W:0.023 / U:30.104 seconds]