    SubjectRe: USB CF reader reboots PC - DEVFS did it
    On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 11:51:30AM -0500, Murray J. Root wrote:
    > ASUS P4S533 (SiS645DX chipset)
    > P4 2GHz
    > 1G PC2700 RAM
    > SanDisk SDDR-77 ImageMate Dual Card Reader (using only CF cards)
    >
    > ----------------------------
    > devfs compiled in to kernel, devfs=nomount in lilo.conf
    >
    > Insert CF card. mount it. cd to it, do reads and/or writes
    > umount card. remove card.
    > insert a different card (does not happen if the same card is used)
    > mount it. system reboots. logs are corrupted
    >
    > Doesn't happen every time for read - sometimes I can read 2 or 3 cards first
    > Happens every time for write - if I write to a card then changing cards
    > causes a reboot
    >
    > ----------------------------
    > devfs=mount in lilo.conf
    >
    > Insert CF card.
    > ls /dev shows sda and sda1
    > mount it.
    > ls /dev shows sda - no sda1
    > cd to mounted CF card
    > process hangs, sd-mod & usb-storage "busy"
    > rmmod -f usb-storage or sd-mod causes PC to stop
    > (keyboard & mouse unresponsive, wmfire frozen, net disconnects)
    >
    > reboot
    > Insert CF card.
    > ls /dev shows sda & sda1
    > mount it.
    > ls /dev shows sda - no sda1
    > umount it
    > ls /dev shows sda - no sda1
    > modprobe -r sd-mod && modprobe sd-mod
    > ls /dev shows sda & sda1

    New - 2.5.55
    No more reboot - just a seg fault when trying to mount a new card
    and process hangs if I try again (not surprising).

    Removed devfs completely from build - everything works fine.
    Can mount, read, write, umount many cards without a problem.

    --
    Murray J. Root
    DISCLAIMER: http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/