    SubjectRe: OT Naming. was: Re: Why is Nvidia given GPL'd code to use in closed source drivers?
    >The "GNU/Linux" vs "Linux" argument is a political one, not a practical
    >one, don't try to disguise it.

    I used to agree with this, and as far as politics, I do. However, a practical
    reason to call it GNU/Linux just occurred to me: the ABI.

    Linux is a kernel. It runs on a variety of platforms. You certainly must
    differentiate between a program for Linux on StrongARM and one for Linux on
    x86. To use a kernel one makes calls into it via a system call mechanism. In
    the case of the vast majority of Linux installations, that is done via glibc.
    Not for kicks is that 'g' there.

    A system with a linux kernel using a different API will likely have a
    different ABI for it's programs.

    This will need to be accounted for at some point. Forget all the tools for the
    moment, and just think about what makes the program ABI.

    Is there any vendor out there now who's shipping something other than glibc
    with their Linux distribution? I bet there is someone, probably in the
    embedded market.

    Of course, I bow to human nature. People will continue to make references to
    Linux meaning the OS, and never mention the qualifiers, until it becomes an

    Here's to looking forward to the day when it does. :-)

    We begin again, constantly. -- -- KB1FVD

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:32    [W:0.019 / U:33.020 seconds]