    SubjectRe: Linux iSCSI Initiator, OpenSource (fwd) (Re: Gauntlet Set NOW!)
    On Tue, 07 Jan 2003 04:08:29 -0300, Werner Almesberger said:
    > Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu wrote:

    > > it takes *hours* without a
    > > packet drop to get the window open *all* the way
    >
    > Or did you mean "after" instead of "without" ? Or maybe "into
    > equilibrium" instead of "the window open ..." ? (After all, the
    > window isn't only open, but it's been blown off its hinges.)

    "without". Let's say it takes 4 hours to recover from a drop, and
    you have another one 3 hours into recovery - it will now take more than
    one more hour to recover.

    "into equilibrium fully open". It's easy enough to see it in equilibrium
    (more or less) not fully open.. ;)

    > In any case, your statement accurately describes a somewhat
    > surprising quirk in Linux TCP performance as of only a bit more
    > than six years ago :)

    OK, I tuned in late - are you saying that the 6-year-old Linux quirk
    happened to have the same symptoms as Floyd's current work, or that
    the slow-start tweaks were designed in 6 years ago, or that a fix for
    the quirk accidentally did the same thing as Floyd's stuff?

    The whole slow-start/ack/retransmit has been chewed over so many times in the
    last 20 years that it's hard to keep track of which vendors picked up which
    tweaks when, and which vendors accidentally invented them again, and which
    vendors invented the tweaks independently and didn't publicize them more....
    /Valdis

    ©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans