    SubjectRe: 2.4.21-pre2 stalls out when running unixbench
    > > This is because of differences in how sync() is handled between 2.4.20's
    > > ext3 and 2.4.21-pre2's.
    > >
    > > 2.4.21-pre2:
    > >
    > > sync() will start the commit, and will wait on it. So you know that
    > > when it returns, everything which was dirty is now tight on disk.
    > >
    > > So yes, running a looping sync while someone else is writing stuff
    > > will take much longer in 2.4.21-pre2, because that kernel actually
    > > waits on the writeout.
    > Actually, I'm wondering if we should back that particular bit out. For
    > a user with a hundred mounted filesystems, syncing each one in order,
    > sequentially, is going to suck (and we don't currently have a simple way
    > in 2.4 to detect which syncs are on separate spindles and so can be
    > parallelised.)

    What!? I'm suprised that no userspace applications were broken by
    sync returning before the data is safely on oxide, even though it
    doesn't violate the POSIX spec.

    What about userspace media-changers, (if such a thing exists)?
    Presumably they would assume that they can eject the media after a sync.

    I think sync should definitely wait until it's completed before it

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:32    [W:0.019 / U:53.016 seconds]