    SubjectRe: Why is Nvidia given GPL'd code to use in closed source drivers?
    On Mon, 06 Jan 2003 12:13:01 -0500
    Richard Stallman <> wrote:

    > You *chose* GNU/Linux to parallel Unix? I assume you mean that you
    > influenced GNU into using a Unix base with the eventual goal of having
    > some sort of GNU Unix base (the Hurd?). The words you selected above
    > are rather assuming.
    > I decided in 1983 to develop a Unix-compatible operating system, and
    > then chose the name GNU for it. In 1990, after finding or writing
    > most of the necessary components, we started developing a kernel for
    > the GNU system; that kernel is the GNU Hurd. Since Linux was working
    > long before the Hurd, people mostly use GNU with Linux instead.

    I have the utmost respect for your earlier efforts which were of unquestionable
    importance for the dawn of the free software movement. Can't say the same for
    your sick GNU/Linux rant though. But considering this is the linux-kernel
    _development_ list (let alone the fact that this discussion stinks) I do think
    it would be a much better move if you and your zealots would go away and
    (perhaps) actually go do some CODING on your GNU/Hurd/whatever instead. All
    this ranting is more than likely why it got started in 1990 and it's still not
    near finished.

    Paulo Andre'

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:32    [W:0.152 / U:5.544 seconds]