SubjectBinary drivers and GPL
Enough is enough! I'm SO tired of hearing this over and over now. But since
it's raging on I might as well throw some coal into the fire a little ;-)

As much as I would love to see a ban on binary drivers to protect the kernel,
this issue isn't going away. Not only that but I'd love to see a module
blacklist in which a non-tainted kernel refuses to load binary drivers that
are not GPL.

We have to make sure that we restrict binary drivers as much as possible
because other companies may decide that they don't need to release their
specs/sources anymore because binary drivers become the norm and because
their competition is also not releasing their specs/code. This I fear is the
danger if we go down this road. We can't allow companies to dictate
indirectly how a kernel will function.

Shawn.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:32    [W:0.021 / U:0.516 seconds]