SubjectRe: Why is Nvidia given GPL'd code to use in non-free drivers?
Mark Mielke wrote:
> Continually comparing software development to traditional forms of
> labour is misleading and evidence that the issue is *not* being
> properly understood.

The basic issue of how well you can live by performing certain work
is exactly the same. And in both cases, the incorrect assumptions
are to underestimate the potential for changes, and to look for a
transition that is risk-free. (*)

(*) Paranoiac's Categorical Imperative: if there's a risk for
anybody, there could also be a risk for me, so I must oppose
it.

> A closer comparison would be to compare the design
> of software to the design of a building. But then - architects don't
> give their blueprints away for free - that would be suicidal...

If we sent our kids to school, they could learn to do our jobs.
That would be suicidal... ;-)

Besides, nobody said that developing free software requires you
to decline being compensated for your work.

- Werner