SubjectRe: Linux iSCSI Initiator, OpenSource (fwd) (Re: Gauntlet Set NOW!)
Andre Hedrick wrote:
> Rik and Richard,
> As you see, I in good faith prior to this holy war, had initiated a formal
> request include a new protocol into the Linux kernel prior to the freeze.
> The extention was requested to insure the product was of the highest
> quality and not limited with excessive erratium as the ratification of the
> IETF modified, postponed, and delayed ; regardless of reason.
> Obviously, PyX had (has) on its schedule to product a high quality target
> which is transport independent on each side of the protocol. We are not
> sure of this position because of the uncertain nature of the basic usages
> of headers and export_symbols.

I suggest that if a function happens to be implemented as an inline
in a header then it should be treated (for licensing purposes) as
an exported-to-all-modules symbol. So in Linux, that would be LGPL-ish.

The fact that a piece of kernel functionality happens to be inlined
is a pure technical detail of linkage.

If there really is inlined functionality which we do not wish made
available to non-GPL modules then it should be either uninlined and
not exported or it should be wrapped in #ifdef GPL.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:32    [W:0.187 / U:2.656 seconds]