    SubjectRe: Gauntlet Set NOW!
    On Sat, 4 Jan 2003, Richard Stallman wrote:

    > I would rather look for constructive alternatives than just criticize.
    > In such a situation, I would look for a way to make the program free.

    > If there is no easy way to make the same program free, there may be a
    > harder way.

    There is of course the business model used by the ghostscript
    people, used by tytso when he made resize2fs and also used by
    Andre Hedrick:

    1) write the software, sell it for a profit for some period
    of time (eg. 18 months)

    2) after that, release the program and its source code

    To the copyright holder, this has all the benefits of a strictly
    copyrighted work, ie. funding. It also has the additional benefit
    of having free software out there that lags close enough to your
    commercial program that a competitor has no chance of entering
    the market with a non-free product of mediocre quality.

    To the free software community, it has the benefits of free
    software becoming available at a higher speed than what would
    have happened without any funding at all.

    Of course, the copyright holder has to choose a license like the
    GPL when releasing the software as open source, since otherwise
    the competitors would be able to use the older version as a basis
    to develop their commercial product from.

    To me, this looks like a win/win situation and I hope more
    companies will choose this business model.

    regards,

    Rik
    http://www.surriel.com/ http://guru.conectiva.com/
    Current spamtrap: <a href=mailto:"october@surriel.com">october@surriel.com</a>