SubjectRe: Bootscreen [had to throw in 2 cents worth, sorry]
On Wed, 2003-01-29 10:31:00 -0500, Rob Wilkens <robw@optonline.net>
wrote in message <1043854259.877.25.camel@RobsPC.RobertWilkens.com>:
> On Wed, 2003-01-29 at 09:46, Denis Vlasenko wrote:
> > Yeah, dude, let's dumb down our users... don't allow them
> > to become curious and start learning.
>
> As I recall, the way Windows 95/98/ME operated with the bootscreen (and
> this might be wise for Linux as well) is to display a bootscreen, but
> have it disappear if someone taps the escape key and returned to the
> console where they CAN OPTIONALLY read the messages if their heart
> desires. In Windows 2000/XP, this is no longer, sadly, how it works,
> but there still was (I believe) a mode in that OS where it displays all
> the boot messages (/SOS option or similar).

Well, what do you do (think 2.5.x) when you don't have keyboard drivers
compiled in? I currently do use them as loaded modules, *if* at all I do
need them. Most of the time, my alphas only have two (or three) cables
plugged in: power, network and possibly serial console... If there's a
monitor, it's wired to a monitor switch (so you can see the messages,
but basically, since there's no keyboard support loaded, it's useless),
but it won't be used. Serial console is my way to go...

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw@lug-owl.de . +49-172-7608481
"Eine Freie Meinung in einem Freien Kopf | Gegen Zensur

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:32    [W:0.057 / U:0.744 seconds]